• Before You Begin
  • Complete Agency Form
  • Enter Payment Info
  • Review & Submit
  • Confirmation

About this form

Organizations file this form to apply for recognition of exemption from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3).

Organizations file this form to apply for recognition of exemption from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3).

See the Instructions for Form 1023 for help in completing this application.

Note: You may be eligible to file Form 1023-EZ, a streamlined version of the application for recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3). You must complete the Form 1023-EZ Eligibility Worksheet in the Instructions for Form 1023-EZ to determine if you are eligible to file that form. If you are not eligible to file Form 1023-EZ, you must file Form 1023 to obtain recognition of exemption under Section 501(c)(3).

You'll have to create a single PDF file (not exceeding 15MB) that you will upload at the end of the application. This PDF must contain a copy of your:
  • Organizing document and any amendments (e.g., articles of incorporation, constitution, trust document, etc.)
  • Bylaws, if adopted
  • Signed & completed Form 2848 or Form 8821, if applicable
  • Supplemental responses, if applicable, and
  • Expedited handling request, if applicable

If your PDF file exceeds the 15MB limit, remove any items over the limit and contact IRS Customer Accounts Services at 877-829-5500 for assistance on how to submit the removed items.

The organization must have an Employer Identification Number (EIN). DO NOT ENTER a Social Security Number (SSN) on the form.

You might find the following additional information useful when applying for recognition of tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3):

After you submit your application
You can expect to be contacted within 180 days from the date you submit your application. After 180 days, if you haven't been contacted, you can call the toll-free Customer Account Services number, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (local time), at 877-829-5500 to check on the status.

You will need the following information when calling:
  • Your name
  • Your employer identification number (EIN)
  • A proper power of attorney submitted with your exemption application, unless you are an officer or director and legally authorized to represent the applicant

Accepted Payment Methods:

  • Bank account (ACH)
  • Debit or credit card

You must be signed in to submit this form. Sign In or Create an Account .

This is a secure service provided by United States Department of the Treasury. The information you will enter will remain private. Please review our privacy policy for more information.

IRS Customer Service